I could not sleep all night. A bad dreams woke me up at 2 am. It was the same one, same recurring dream I have had since I was 17.
So i lied in bed, checked my life expectancy via the internet test. It looks like I have five more years only if I continue with my habits. Yesterday I would have said it is fine, today I’m not that sure. I think, I hope, that at one point something will change.
Then just about the 4 am all my demons started to come back. I have not drunk a drop since yesterday morning. Maybe that is why? My past is coming to haunt me. I usually drink, to let it all go away. Being sober is tough.
So I had all those visions, pictures of my mistakes.
My memory is bad. I tend to forget what happened last day, week, month.
I remember I was happy once, or twice. I really was happy.
And I remember I was angry and scared too often. Like that day, just before I finished high-school, at age 17. I came back home. Father was back from a good rehab that week. He seemed well. But there was a change in his behavior, I knew then that he wants to drink. He sat at home, in his office. He had a bottle of scotch, close one at that point.
I asked him – What are you doing? You just spent thousands on rehab, please, don’t.
– Shut up, I will do what I want. – He answered and then I saw the other bottle, empty.
– You WILL NOT drink anymore, you will not! – I got furious as all previous effort was worthless. I took away that scotch, grabbed quickly a key to the office and locked him from outside.
– Open those doors, now! Give me that bottle back, I will do what I want – he repeated that like mantra.
– I will let you go out in few hours, when you sober up, when you understand that you do not want more drink. Sorry. – after he heard that, he started threatening me for half an hour, but I was stubborn.
– If you will not open the doors then I will go out through the window!!
– Go on then, Dad – I laughed
I heard a big noise outside and a scream. Dear God, he really jumped out, he really did it. At that point I was sure I killed my father. It was three meters down. I went out to see what happened, scared, panicked and shaky. He lied on the ground, then slowly started getting up, face covered in blood. He looked like a zombie, walking dead. Slowly started coming towards me, angry, mumbling that I tried to kill him. I closed the front doors as I was awfully scared of him, called the ambulance straight away. They arrived in 15 minutes, when Father was lying by front doors, he was unconscious by then.
I had some visions this night, I saw my mistakes, my relationship with – 40 years older than me – Richard, my unborn child (she would have been 2 years old by now, definitely with same golden blond hair, big lips and green eyes, just like me), episode when I worked as a stripper, that helpless feeling when I had 20k debt, the way I missed my twin sister so badly.
I signed to AA today. Maybe things will change soon. Things have to change. Now I just need some sleep.